Jul 11, 2009

Lipton clear its "Urdu"

The makers of Lipton Tea campaign "Clear your Mind", themselves need to have a cup and clear their minds.

On my way to office through busiest Shahrah-e-Faisal, I happened to notice a hoarding of Lipton new campaign. I am an ardent fan of Urdu language and correct people regularly in terms of pronunciation, grammar, writing and all. Initially, I thought I read the word wrong but very next morning, I slowed down my car and stopped near the pole where board was hanging. To my surprise, the word "Zehan" has two shoshay (Circumflex) instead of one.


For many others, it might be a minor mistake whereas for such a campaign its not. Campaigners must take in account that Urdu is our national language and still many left who have the love for it.

7 comments:

Beyond Words... said...

Jeeti Rahiyae Kulssom Bano... Bilkul Sahi Nishandahi hai... Yeh Bilkul Ghalat Likha hua Hai... Jis Ki Islah Fori Honi Chahiyae... Zaban Ki Hifazat Bhi CSR Hi Ka Aik Subject Hai...

Nikki. said...

I dunno but as far as i remember my Urdu, Zehan does have 2 Shosha's one for the HEY and the other for the NOON!

Kulsoom said...

@nikki: NOON doesn't have a shosha first of all, its a half moon itself.

Georg said...

Hallo Kulsoom,

Reading this post I suppose when you don't write in English it is in Urdu. But why do you write it in Latin and not in Arabic??

As to Lipton tea, it is available over here, too. The worst of all teas! An English friend once said to me it is just "floor sweepings". What remains on the ground ater having sold the good leaves at a better price.

Cheers
Georg

Kulsoom said...

Hi,

Good point Georg, but am unable to write it in Arabic font because I don't have command on that typing and it will take me hours to write down a poem only.

But if you understand Arabic font, I can translate them for you :)
As far as Lipton is concerned; here it is considered as one of the premium tea brand thought the true tea lovers don't like the taste. I myself not a tea drinker hence can't comment much but I did enjoy your friend's remark!!!

Georg said...

Bonjour Kulsoom,

Thanks for explaining. No, I don't know Arabic.

As far as I know, Urdu is the language of Panjab, on both sides of the border. Is it written exclusively in Arabic and you are the only exception or is it written both in Latin and in Arabic??

Georg

Kulsoom said...

Hahahahahah ohhh Georg I just cannot control myself laughing over Urdu and Punjab.

Urdu is absolutely doesn't belong to Punjab, they have Punjabi to themselves. Punjabi is 11th widely spoken language of world.

Urdu is national language of Pakistan and widely understood and spoken on both sides of the border. People who speak Urdu are known to be migrants from 1947. Politically speaking, no Punjabi will ever call Urdu as their language and instead take it as a disgrace.

Urdu has its own fonts and alphabets and similar to Arabic. Due to increasing internet and cell phone culture, it is widely written in Roman (which you call as Latin).

Hope you enjoyed and understood the details:)