Jun 18, 2010

25 +

Its not like that today is my birthday; just that I am realizing that how does it feel to be a little over your silver jubilee of life. Recently, a colleague celebrated her 25th birthday in a festive manner. The festival started 2 days before and remained there for 4 days. My take out was that becoming 25 is a big deal so why didn’t I celebrate. Maybe for me it was just another year and couldn’t be stopped.


When I turned 25, my mother gave me a surprising look saying “Tum 25 ki hogayi?” I gave her a reality bite by replying “Yes, and still with you”. Her remark gave me a reality bite too that turning 25 for a girl isn’t very congratulatory but may raise eyebrows. As if turning 25 is a sin or controllable factor.


People start questioning your relationship status and its reasons, in case you are single like me. Not only that, but I also realized that girls, who are a little behind to leap the silver mark, consider themselves younger or let us say junior to me. Now, obviously, I don’t expect myself to take out my ID card and show them that I am 25+ and not 40+ so take a chill pill, please. I think this has something to do with our social setup and culture where a girl less than 25 is supposedly still in demand and can fling away with responsibilities. On the other hand, women like me should act MORE mature, responsible, cultured and preferably married with kids. Why am I emphasizing on the word more; because socially speaking, girls should have all the said qualities by birth.


Being 25+ gives me an air of freedom and I consider myself on the confusion-less path. The only thing freaks me most that at 25, I was all settled in life, whereas I know tons of souls who are still studying and planning the future. God, I still can’t figure out why was I in a hurry?


My plans for after 25 were just like making sandcastles ruined by tyrant waves of time and circumstances. Still, I don’t make a fuss of it. In west, people start taking life seriously and make aims much after hitting silver line. Here, in my part of the world, we are done with all the seriousness by the time we reach our silver mark.


Life has its own course to teach us itself, so I guess I had my silver medal. For a while, let’s take some advance courses before life awards me a gold medal.