Jul 13, 2010

Soccer can be sour !!!

Countries have border conflicts, political conflicts, military conflicts, resource conflicts but who can have a soccer conflict?

Egypt has it.


Before coming to Cairo, I thought country is at cross with Israel only. But I was so wrong. They are extremely sour when it comes to Algeria after facing bloody defeat at FIFA 2010 qualifying matches. The best soccer team of Africa kicked out by Algeria in one of the most combative matches.


Algeria played simple to get even with Egypt after 20 years. Algerians had their taste of defeat from Egypt, when they were left behind in FIFA 1990.


Egyptians took it very seriously. Let’s say to their hearts that it’s still bleeding.

Algerians are not very welcomed here and gets racist remarks openly, be it at work or at a mall. The minute a person says he is an Algerian; you got to look at others’ face expression or reaction. Egyptian put them aside like aliens while Algerians play it pretty cool. After all, they got what they wanted; a victory.



Few days back, I asked an Egyptian colleague that why fuss over such small matter. To which she replied, “You know, we helped Algeria in gaining independence. They shouldn’t have been so rude to us.” Now this obviously doesn’t make sense to me. I mean what the heck?


Afterwards, I asked an Algerian what he thinks about the comment made above. I also added that Egypt, indeed, helped Algeria. But he thinks, Algeria has been helping too, for instance it is providing Gas to them. With an annoying look, he claimed “You know the burner on which you cook? We provide the gas for it.” For a minute I was thankful to Algeria because I certainly don’t want to deprive myself from Pakistani food in Cairo.

Anyways, I guess we Pakistanis and Indians have bigger hearts. After 3 wars and various cricket defeats, we still manage to eat and laugh together. In an alien land, we cherish each other.


Aren’t we great?






1 comments:

saaf.baat said...

Nice blog.. do post some photographs of Misr.